Monday, December 5th, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO – Our first winter storm is just around the corner in Colorado Springs. Here are some simple tips to prepare prior to the storm, according to the American Red Cross.
- Make sure to disconnect all outside water hoses. If you do not, you run the risk of your pipes freezing and breaking potentially causing a major water leak in your home.
- Keep your thermostat set above 65 degrees even when you are away from home. This will prevent any pipes from freezing if the temperatures should drop radically.
- Have a stock of ice melt and a good snow shovel so you can properly clear your driveway and sidewalks. This will help detour slips and falls.
- Make sure you have an alternate, non-electric heat source for your home in case there is a power outage.
- Running water, even at a trickle, helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- All fuel-burning equipment should be vented to the outside and kept clear.
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and chemicals up out of the reach of children.
- Protect yourself from frostbite and hypothermia by wearing warm, loose-fitting, lightweight clothing in several layers. Stay indoors, if possible.
For more information about how to prepare for a snow storm, visit http://www.redcross.org/get-help/prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/winter-storm.